Thursday, June 2, 2016

Birthday present: Kryptonite body suit

Sometimes you are done.
You are done
screaming
jerking
swearing

You are done with this situation.
You would do whatever it takes to make it go away.

And so it happens again and you really know you are done because
all of a sudden
you are watching yourself do what you thought you could never do.

It is an out-of-body experience.
A gift from God, really.

You breathe in, and somehow-

calmly
patiently
efficiently

you get it done.

It is not you.

Finally, it happened for me.
Tonight it happened.

It was the LAST straw.
But the FIRST time I could actually love her through this moment.
It was the last time I would find my nearly-7 year old covered with feces smeared all over her body.
And scream with disgust.

For the 187th time-
I cleaned up the mess and scrubbed her little body with grace.
It wasn't me scrubbing.
I was watching myself scrubbing.



As much as I love this girl, I hate this habit.
And so I had to show you.
So you can pray for me.
I'm even okay with you feeling bad for me.
And honestly I can't believe I'm showing you this picture.

And so,
this precious girl, who turns 7 on Monday
is not getting Princess clothes
and Barbie dolls
and Pretty Ponies for her birthday on June 6.

She is getting a backwards-zipping full-length Kryptonite Body Suit.
Maybe she is even getting 7 of them.
Because she is turning 7.

2 comments:

  1. Praying for you, Katie. The bodysuit is a fabulous idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your real openness. It lets others know they're not alone. Keep going mama. God's got you. I'll be praying too.

    ReplyDelete