Wednesday, October 20, 2010

What's in a name?

I'm finding myself here, late at night...blogging, knowing nothing, not even really even sure how to put this all together.  I'm doing this to help my daughter, to share her progress with my friends and family, and just hoping that someone else has a child similar to mine and can help me find some answers.

Three years ago God blessed me with a beautiful, healthy baby boy.  Everything was so picture perfect, he met all his milestones...I pictured my next child to be exactly like him, but a female version, of course.  

James at 6 months
June just born
For nine months we called her June.  After all, she was due in June.  When my husband picked the name Iva June (Iva, after his grandmother), we had no idea how God would slowly reveal that the pick was just perfect.  Little June grew very s l o w l y.  We were concerned when she seemed a "little too good", made little eye contact, and thrashed backward into these arching positions only meant for a gymnast.  Months later, we are left with only a diagnosis of "hypotonia", however, we have a little 16 month old who is wonderfully unique and we, along with the doctors are searching for answers, wondering what could be causing a 50% global delay.

Every day God supplies me with just the right amount of grace, the right amount of patience, and continues to fill me with his joy or send a friend when days seem to be difficult.  The name Iva means "God is gracious", and He has been just that.  So many gifts have been given along the way: a mom away from home, a hospital just five minutes away, and a fairly easy three year old.  God knew. I'm looking forward to sharing with you a little more about my precious daughter each week.  I can't promise a fancy layout or snazzy contests, but I can promise honesty.  Thanks for reading.

12 comments:

  1. You are an excellent writer. And this is so touching. I had no idea Iva had developmental delays or that you were carrying all of that on your shoulders. I'm excited to follow along on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know either. Will be praying for clarity as doctors make diagnoses. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. looking forward to following you guys in this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Katie,
    It will be nice to keep up with your blog and you will all be in our prayers! :) God is in control and His grace is sufficient!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'll carry thoughts of
    your daughter and family
    inside my heart and
    within my prayers

    ReplyDelete
  6. This blog entry is precious and beautiful just like you and June. I am looking forward to continuing the journey with you my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Iva June & I am so proud of you for taking this step toward healing. Praying for you often.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You definitely just made me cry, K.

    I love you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll be praying for strength and courage for all of you. Remember there are no "right" or "wrong" feelings. Feelings just are. I think this blog will be healing for you and allow the rest of us to know how to pray and help. You're doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love this and love you. i hope writing will give you some peace.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks everyone for the overwhelming care and prayers you are sending our way. Love all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Katie, Thanks for sharing this - blogging has helped me make so many fabulous connections with other mothers who have been sympathetic, kind, caring, understanding, and several of them have become "friends" of a different sort and we now keep in touch regularly! I hope you find that same network of support that I have found. We will be keeping dear June in our hearts and prayers! Love ya! Julie Kieras

    ReplyDelete