Sunday, September 23, 2012

Alone with the mutes

This morning at 8:00 sharp the boys left me alone with the girls to go sailing.  I had to let them go.  They have to go out there and do their exciting manly stuff....you know, get out in the wilderness, feel heroic and salty from the physical activity, ocean air and sweat.  As you might remember, I sometimes fear being ALONE for long stretches of time (with my precious girls) for many reasons.  #1 It is extremely hard to watch June while I'm nursing Charlotte.  #2 No one speaks to me; they only cry, thrash, bite or kick, yet I am supposed to read their minds and figure out exactly what they want.  #3 I will most likely throw out my back because I will be lifting two babies all day long. #4 I am tempted to eat things or do things I know I shouldn't.  Absolutely no accountability.

So after getting everyone else dressed, fed and diapered, I was ready to finally take a quick shower. I put Charlotte in her crib with the mobile on, then I stuck June in front of the T.V. watching 1 of her 3 favorite shows: Baby Babble 1.  I took a lightning fast shower and ran downstairs.  I found June on my kitchen table doing her morning yoga routine:

Now, this is a normal pose for June, but lately she has been obsessed with this table.  I spent the rest of the morning trying to distract her from being on top of the  table.  We needed to go on a walk....that's what.  So, I put June in her walker and then I put Charlotte in the stroller.  Bad choice.  Every time we got to where the sidewalk meets the road, she would speed up and so I would have to run beside her, pulling the front of the stroller, while I edged her out into the street to check for cars.  I think we got our work-out in. People were staring and making comments like.."Ooh-she's a speedy little thing!", and then of course, there's always some kid yelling, "Mom, that thing is sooo cool!  I WANT one of those!" If they only knew for real how to get one. 

Here's the most interesting part of the walk though.  At one point, I turned her around and said. "June, we are going home."  She protested slightly, but then, I kid you not, she led us home, turns and all, crossing streets, right up the hill into our front yard and then she managed her way to the back yard.  She stood right under her bucket swing and begged.  She knew exactly what she wanted. So I popped her in, and sprayed us all down with Deet.  The mosquitos are still terrible in our neck of the woods.  And we don't even have woods.

You should really think about buying this
bucket seat.  Every kid loves it. 


1 comment:

  1. I know it was harried but I am thankful that God showed you the sweetness in it too. How amazing that she knows her way home!

    ReplyDelete