Thursday, August 4, 2011

Tidal pool

A few nights ago we managed to get it together to get down to the beach-finally.  It's summer time and we live just 30 minutes from the actual oceanfront, yet we truly under-utilize this God-given haven.  So, I packed the many bags, numerous towels, changes of clothes, sunscreens, diapers, cooler full of dinner, water jugs, buckets and shovels, balls and sand toys.  Good thing Rich's mother gave us a handy beach cart.  We would effortlessly glide across the petal soft sand to our resort spot on the shore.... But in all seriousness folks, it felt like we were the Israelites crossing the blazing hot Sinai Desert.  How does anyone do that for 40 years?  I was carrying June and had to stop every ten steps.  And those women probably had at least one child on the back, another tied across her bosom, a water jug on her head, and one of those stick things across her shoulders with two satchels of belongings balancing the whole gizmo.  I'm glad I was born in the last 300 years. 

So the whole way there, I was praying hard.  We've done this before and it has just been difficult with Iva June.  The greatest struggle is her perpetual munching of sand...and I mean, she actually likes the grittiness in her mouth.  It's pick up fistful of sand, put sand in mouth, repeat 80 times at fast-speed.  So I asked God for a miracle.  Maybe a glimpse of hope.  Maybe we won't have to carry her the entire time.  I'm fine with keeping my eyes glued on her, I just don't want to be dealing with the eating of sand issue. I want her to enjoy sand like every other neurotypical two year old...

Well, again God provided a wondrous miracle for us.  Upon arrival, the shore was lined with hundreds of tidal pools before you actually get to the ocean.  It took about 20 minutes for June to get the eating of sand out of her system (literally and figuratively), then she was off to roll, tumble, smile, laugh and wade in the pools of paradise.  It was a definite therapeutic experience and as you can see she was truly delighted!









3 comments: