Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The perch

Lately it's been a bit comical around here with all the funny things my toddlers are doing.  You know, the usual hunting for dragons with flashlights, or using the holes in Mr Potato head for any and every extremity, or eating every extremity, or putting your hands in the potty and swishing them around a few times (I think I've mentioned this before), or just plain eating what's in the potty, or my absolute favorite...asking God daily to deliver a trampoline to our back yard.  

 Well, my daughter has been obsessed with a certain position in our house.  The funny thing is, my son was NEVER allowed to sit on this antique piece of furniture, nor would he be allowed to lounge on it and take a nap, drooling...No, he was firmly told, "No!" and redirected to another spot.  Well, one day I walked in the living room and found Iva June lying up on the coffee table, hanging out like she was sunning by the pool. I at first laughed, but then took a closer look.  She had her whole body pressed firmly against the marble tabletop (drooling and all).  I watched and waited and she did not move, so I left her there, and after thirty minutes or so she hopped on down and got back to playing (I mean, chasing strings and eating crumbs off the floor and waiting for the floor vents to blow in her face).  We have come to call this very familiar spot her perch.  What's even more spectacular is she does tricks up on the perch. She hangs her legs and arms off, does a back bend to reach toys and move wagons, all from up on the perch...  Concerned parents and therapists come by and say, "Ut-oh, she's on the coffee table. Do you want me to get her down?" "No," I always reply. "She's just hanging out on her little perch".  She gets so much joy out of it.  I don't know if she likes that she's higher up, or she likes the cold marble against her belly (she's low sensory so this is likely), or if she knows something we all don't, like you get extra energy from recharging on marble.  Either way, it's her spot, so I thought I'd take some pics:
She thinks she's hot stuff if she hangs one leg off.

I know...frightening she's resting on a laptop. My husband took this pic. Blame him.

4 comments:

  1. it's funny the different standards we set for each child and how they somehow get lower for the second, third etc child. i think she is just recharging her battery on the marble and yes, she probably does know a thing or two that we don't know. it's great that she can climb up there on her own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot wait to see you guys!!! you should bring the marble table. love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the thought of 'recharging on marble' :)She is just such a doll.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder if James is mad that his sis get's to play with the table and he doesn't/ didn't! Haha I miss you guys! Hope you'll come and visit soon!! :)

    ReplyDelete